Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Take 2 - ER: So proud of my ovaries!!!

Yesterday (Tuesday) I didn't feel like blogging or even going onto my computer in the evening. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. because my second blanket fell off (yes I sleep under two), and I couldn't fall asleep thereafter. My mind and heart where just racing. I was in a lot of pain since the morning and had to finish a few projects at work, so even my acupuncture appointment was moved late (and I still managed to be late for that). The acupuncture appointment did put me at ease, and by the time I got home, I pretty much went straight to bed.

This morning we had an early start. I did have a good sleep (thanks to acupuncture)and got up at 5:30 a.m. Don't laugh but I did make sure that my legs are free of hair, took a shower and woke up DH. When I got up, I didn't feel any pain and started to freak out, but of course once I started to get ready to leave the pain was back. Since I was not supposed to eat or drink anything since the midnight before, we decided for DH not to have breakfast at the house and just buy a snack on our way at Starbucks :) 6:50 a.m. we were out of the house, and with traffic and a detour to Starbucks were at the clinic by about 7:50 a.m. My REs clinic is small and is not equipped for ER/ET procedures, although monitoring is done there, so he uses 3 other clinics. We were lucky as the one that he was using was just a few floors above his. Once we arrived the nurse took me in pretty quickly and left DH in the waiting room. It was a smart move. She got me settled in and started inserting the IV. Since, I've been going into monitoring every day for over a week, both of my arms didn't look that great. To her credit, after pocking me once in the left arm behind the elbow, and giving me a huge bruise from a collapsed vein on the inside of my right arm, she called a blood tech who quickly put a butterfly needle on my hand. The other good thing was that they had blankets, 2 of them, so I was nice and warm. Once I got all settled they called DH. He got all dressed up in a hat and yellow robe and looked so funny that we goofed around taking pictures of each other. As I had an IV in my hand, the nurse told me to try not to move the hand and try to keep it in a fist position so that the needle would not go out. So my pics of DH were not that great.

Then came our time for the procedure which was a bit after 9 a.m. I was escorted into the washroom, and it was hard to manoeuvre with just one hand, but all was done and we headed into the operating room. My RE was already there. We talked a bit, I don't really remember about what, mostly chit chat. He asked me how I was feeling and I told him that I was in a lot of pain and pressure from my ovaries. He said that I had lots of follies, and told the nurse to give me double of the medication. I got woozy pretty quickly. I could seen the screen and DH was right by my side. RE started the procedure and he did the left side (which didn't have as many as the right) and then it turned out that my right ovary had a stage fright and was hiding behind my uterus. As a result they gave me more drugs and a nurse had to actually push on my stomach to get the shy one on camera. To tell you the truth I don't remember how long it lasted, I did feel some pain and some pressure, but nothing major, although everything is like a blur. I heard them counting from 5 to 11, and then I started seeing doubles - double the monitor- double DH's head. The nurses were amazing, they were continuously asking how I was feeling. I think RE added more medication closer to the end. Once we were done and I was cleaned. RE came up to me and said that I did very good and he is very happy with me. We got 19 eggs!!!! Yep 19!!!! He was saying something that it is much more that the average that they get, and that he got all the eggs but that not all of them will be mature enough (which is also fine). He said that the pressure should be better now but they will still be watching me as the drained follies will be filling up back with fluid and it can cause OHSS, which we don't want. So he congratulated me again, and I started crying right there on the operating table with my tears streaming down my cheeks. One of the nurses gave me tissue, and all I could say was that I was happy so that they would not think that I am in pain. DH & I kept holding hands and saying that we did a great job and we were so proud of my ovaries. I was very dizzy so during the trip from the operating room back to my lounge chair I was practically hanging on DH. Once we got back, DH sent a text to my sis, his brother and SIL with the news. I got some water and orange juice to drink and some crackers. DH was taken to give his sample. I was given a heating pad and covered with blankets, so while waiting for DH I almost fell asleep as the medication made me groggy and sleepy. My nurse from REs clinic actually came up to talk to us and the embryologist also stopped by to say hi and to tell us that we did good. We got both estrogen and progesterone suppositories to be started tomorrow, and headed home.

On my way home I talked to my sis and my parents, and then my acupuncturist called as she wanted to know how ER went (so sweet of her). Once I got home, I got my own heating pad going and went to bed. Had a nice 4 hour sleep. As I am writing this the pain is still there, it gets better and than worse again. It is painful to walk, stand up and walk up/down the stairs. The worst pain is when I go to the washroom (I guess because the things get reshuffled in there :) ). and I am spotting which was expected as I had a lot of holes pocked in me.

I keep thinking that by now my eggs were probably ICSIed and we already have a few embryos in a dish in a lab. I actually started crying when I thought about it the first time. DH was on his best behaviour and very affectionate (which is not his normal self as he is a more reserved individual). I will probably go to watch some more TV with my heating pad on my tummy. Tomorrow, the nurse will call with an update, but it will not be until after lunch hour, so I guess I'll be sleeping in. I hate waiting by the phone!

8 comments:

  1. Nineteen eggs! Wow! Well done Mrs. R. :) Good to hear that DH is taking good care of you. :) I look forward to your fabulous fertilization report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! 19 eggs is AWESOME!! I'm so happy for you, I can't wait to hear your fert report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! So awesome! Hoping for a great fertilization report! Good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for 19 eggs!! :D

    Can't wait to hear that fert report!! Definitely proud of those ovaries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your a superstar!!! 19 Eggs!!! Way to go!!!! I am going to call you the Easter Bunny for now!!!

    Lots of pixies for your little Eggies, I hope you get tons of Embryos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you! The worse is over and you got an amazing number of eggs! WOO HOO! Can't wait to hear about your fert report!!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! Make sure to drink Gatorade and up your salt intake (soups, V8, etc) to help with the OHSS risks.

    Fingers crossed for a great fert report!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! 19 is awesome!!! congrats! take it easy and get plenty of rest. i hope the pain subsides quickly!

    ReplyDelete