Thursday, April 28, 2011

Take 2: 8dp5dt - 10dp5dt

After the transfer my nurse emailed me a handout of what to avoid during the 2ww. It also said that in accordance with the latest research and studies it has NOT been proven that bed rest will give you a better chance of getting pregnant. I also look at it this way - most (fertile) girls don't even know that they are pregnant this early in the game. Although, he did say to take it easy. So I am not running trying not to run and not to walk too fast.

The hand out did say to avoid strenuous exercise including vacuuming (I am staying away from those). It also said to avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol and drugs - check on almost all fronts, I don't drink coffee and stopped drinking non-herbal teas (but do indulge in chocolate), never smoked in my life or done drugs (so that was easy), and alcohol is not such a big thing for me - although I did have a few sips during the Passover dinner. I was told today that chocolate has a lot of caffeine in it (well I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out), but caffeine has been linked to early miscarriages - so yes, I am staying away from chocolate or anything else caffeine related.

Avoiding sunbathing, hot sauna, Jacuzzi, swimming and baths is also easy. I am not the one for taking baths (I think in over 3 years that we've lived in our house, I used the bath twice). It is too cold for swimming and sunbathing anyways. And even though I enjoy saunas - I haven't been in a while and don't really miss it.

The last point was avoiding sexual intercourse and orgasm - oh-oh!!! I didn't know that I would have a problem with those. During normal times DH and I do "love dance" at least once or twice per week, and we haven't had any since the last time before he prepared for his contribution on ER day. I feel great, but with the stuff that I am putting up "you know what" 3 times a day, we can't really have sex, although I really really want to. Now that problems kind of solved itself. Then I've read somewhere that having an orgasm does something to your uterus and it can do something to get the embabies out - so it is a big no-no, and the reason while after a few caresses we are going to sleep on our respective sides of the bed. Who knew that in order to have a kid you have to stop having sex. Isn't it counter-intuitive? Well, I guess I don't care if it is, as we are staying away from each other for at least another week, as I would do anything to have both of my embabies stick inside me.


This unbelievably long 2ww is starting to get a toll on me. On Tuesday (8dp5dt) I was calculating and trying to figure out if I can take a test on Wednesday (9dp5dt), as the wait was getting unbearable. However when the Wednesday came along, and I realized in the morning that I didn't have an urge to POAS, I was happy, and it seemed like I can do it - wait until my chosen date - April 29th. :)

So Wednesday morning my sis and I were waiting for the train and somehow we got into the topic of POASing and HPTs (nobody knows about our plan to POAS on Friday). So my sis was telling me that I should not POAS as those tests are unreliable and that if I do have to do it, I should do it first thing in the morning. I was like "Oh, really. You are telling ME that???" She said "Yes" and then I asked her if she knew the difference between the days past ovulation and what the sensitivity of the test should be and how it is measured, and she said "Yes, it should have two lines" That was just priceless!!! My sis means well, but she got pregnant with her first baby after 6 months of trying, and my nephew was conceived on the first try, so she has absolutely no clue about what all of us have to go through!!!

There was also a very proud moment for me when I was collecting all our medical expenses (including IVF in December) for our tax returns. I got all of the receipts from our 3 IUIs and IVF and medication, and I had a pile of the paperwork that we signed with our first clinic, and I threw it all out!!! That felt so so liberating!!! I don't know why, but it felt great!

Then we get to today (10dp5dt). Yesterday, a friend of ours who had to move to the States came over as she was visiting, and we were catching up until 2 a.m. and that's when I took my evening dose of meds. Then I figured that there is no way I can get up to get an early train with my sis so I emailed her and told DH that he'll have to drive me to the last train. Then my brain started working that since I took the last dose of meds so late, it would be better if I take the morning dose later, after I get to work. So I put both bottles in a black bag. It was hard to get up (as you can imagine), I took my sweet time and we left in a hurry. When I got to the train station my new electronic card refused to work, so I had to use the old system. Then when I got downtown the lineups were huge, but I had to figure out what was wrong with my card, so I stood in line and then argued with the personnel for about 30 min, by the time I got to the office it was 9:30 a.m. So I go to make my breakfast and then start thinking that I should put the medication now as it is getting late. I got to my office and to my bag, and realize that my little bag with meds is still on my bed!!! Next, I start thinking about my little embabies and how they didn't have any support since 2 a.m. and will not get any until late tonight. Of course, I have tears in my eyes. I call DH already barely able to speak, he says to ask the clinic if i can just get a one day supply from them. I email the clinic and the answer is NO, and my nurse asks if it is possible for me to take the meds as soon as possible as they don't want to risk anything. So with that I go to my boss (who has no clue what's going on), before I can even open my mouth tears start rolling and I can't even talk. I finally told him that I forgot my meds and have to go home by noon, and he took it pretty well. So I left a bit after noon and was home by 2 p.m. While I was working from home DH called and asked what kind of HPT he should by as he stopped by a drug store!!! So now we have a good HPT at home.

Then we had our nephew's b-day party tonight (just the family) and everything was going nicely. But DH & his brother had a bit to drink and by the end of the evening DH was asking me to POAS, he was so convincing that I almost did!!! Almost!!! We got home, and I got scared, and I told him that I am scared and that I would rather do it on our anniversary. He understood. But now I am getting so anxious and petrified of the test that I had another breakdown with me sobbing and DH saying that it doesn't matter the result we WILL have our baby one way or another.

So here we are, one more night until POAS, at 11dp5dt - it should be a pretty accurate result (even my nurse said that). I am trying to be optimistic, but I today I started to feel cramps in my uterus, and before they were only in my ovaries. I am also very emotional, and I've been very nauseous today (more then yesterday). I have no idea if this is just all in my head, progesterone or actual pregnancy symptoms.

The only good thing is that by approximately this time during my first IVF I was already spotting, and for now the only thing I can see is the progesterone and estrogen leaking.

1 comment:

  1. What a rollercoaster! I will be checking back to see if you did POAS but I don't blame you if you don't. I never did, I was just way too scared. My fingers and toes are crossed for you though!!!

    ReplyDelete