Friday, July 8, 2011

It's getting more real- 2nd beta (16dp5dt - 5w pregnant)

I have been very anxiously awaiting a phone call this morning from the clinic. With each passing minute my heart would sink lower and lower and my body would be gripped with anxiety. I was looking at my cell all the time, then called DH and he said to try to work for a change. I did work, and... missed the stupid call!!! The good news the beta today was 4,196 - perfect! all of estrogen, progesterone and TSH (?) are also great, so they will be scheduling an u/s soon.

This morning I signed up to talk to my nurse as I knew that I would not have a chance to talk to her when she calls. She was very happy for us and said that happiness just radiates from me :) I asked her about the u/s and she said that it will be in 2 weeks so aprox. the week of 18th but she didn't know for sure when. The clinic would monitor me until 10 weeks (I forgot to ask her how many u/s I am going to have as I'll have one at 7w so next one probably at 9 or 10w) and then my family doctor should refer me to ob/gyn. I also asked her about my beta number and its relationship to multiples. She said that she wished she could answer that question, but that beta number is NOT a good predictor of the number of babies. Ugh! Now I have to wait 2 weeks to find out!!! I also asked if RE knew our results, and she told me that he is in France already, but that he would be very happy to know as he was so concerned with our BFN during last IVF cycle.

I had the last dose of prometrium and estrace left, and waited until the phone call confirming beta doubled (in our case it actually was multiplied by 2.5) before asking DH to drop by the pharmacy and take out the entire prescription. So now I have enough pills to last me for a while :)

I received an email from the clinic advising that the u/s was scheduled for Wednesday, July 20, 2011, which will be exactly 4 weeks since transfer and in accordance with ivf.ca calculator 6w5d of pregnancy. It is also going to be full bladder u/s which makes me smile :) ;however, I did hear from others that they still use the "wand" to measure everything, but I guess we will find out when we get there. I so hope that we can hear our baby or babies heart beats, although it might be a bit early, don't really know (but ivf.ca calendar said that as of July 19, 2011, "u/s detected heartbeat" - not very sure what it means).

DH & I have started talking about a daycare (oh, we are so ahead of ourselves), we want our child(ren) to go to the same daycare our nephews and niece are going, but there is an over a year waiting list and they take kids from about 18 months. So I guess if I take full maternity leave (which I am hoping to do, barring us not having enough money to support ourselves), I would have to return to work when our kid(s) will be 12 months, and hopefully my mom can take care of my baby(ies) for the following 6 months, like she did for my sis with both of her kids. But, it is too early to think about that. The next big decision is choosing ob/gyn. I know that I have to do it soon as there are hurdles to get one. I don't really like the one that I was going to at the beginning of our TTC, although both my sis and SIL were with him during their pregnancies. A friend of mine really loved a midwife, so I am thinking of going this route - but only if we are having one. I love the idea of having someone in the room with me all the time, and NO I am NOT giving birth anywhere but the hospital! If we are having twins - it is going to be considered a high risk pregnancy and I'll need a high risk ob/gyn, and a girl from ivf.ca who is also from TO and having twins has a good doctor who is associated with the hospital where I want to give birth to (of course, the same one where my sis & SIL gave birth). I am thinking that in the time left until the u/s, I might get more info from my friend about the midwife and at least for DH & I see what it is, but the decision will be left until we know the number.

With respect to side effects - I still have dizziness and nausea on and off, and I actually lost my appetite (happened only once in my life). I've gained a couple of kg in the past few weeks, so now eating healthy (DH is controlling what I am eating - he is so sweet) I started to slowly loose weight. Don't worry, I am not dieting or restricting myself (I did have an ice cream today), and there is still enough weight to go around. Actually, as I was entering the house today, DH said that he made fish, but it wasn't really fresh (even though still before best before date) and he didn't want me to eat it, just in case. So he actually made me salad and put some nuts so that I could have protein. I think I mentioned it before, that DH is the one who cooks as I have two left hands when it comes to cooking. :)

I also still have a cold that makes me a bit miserable as I am stuffed up, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and runny nose, and the same headache for the past few days now.

By the way, as we were driving home today, DH told me that apparently our SIL told her parents and her 21 year old brother that we are pregnant. I was like WHAT??? Her brother actually called DH to congratulate, and to make the matters worse, tomorrows breakfast is at DH's brother's house, so SIL's parents are going to be there too, and I so just wanted to keep it in the family for now... oh well... my favourite phrase - more and more people are keeping our secret (it sounds a bit better in Russian, but you get the gist of it).

The only other person who I want to tell soon is my boss. I work in a small firm. I work on average 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week. I know I have to take it easy and may be leave early and finish up some stuff at home in the evening after resting. But to do this I need my boss on board. I have no idea how he is going to react, as he is constantly going on about women professionals who only have their kids on the brain instead of doing their job. Plus, he and his wife do not have kids (don't really know what the story there is, but I know that the got married pretty late in their lives). So, once he is back in the office on Tuesday, I am sharing my news. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Rosachka!!! I'm so happy for you!!! :):):) Good luck with your boss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I am so happy for you! And yeah - beta is so not a good indicator of multiples (my beta was 369 and well twins are on the way). Also just wanted to mention that even if you do find out that you are having twins you aren't necessarily considered high risk. Yes the pregnancy is more complicated and you would need an OB (unless you can find a midwife willing to take you) but I'm having identicals which are higher risk than fraternal and I am not with a high risk OB and I personally am not considered high risk. Okay sorry for the long explanation! Such great news about your beta. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete