Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day thoughts

In my humble opinion, Valentine’s Day is so overrated. There are various other occasions that lovers can celebrate, and which are much more special to them, such as the day they met, the day of proposal, wedding etc. May be because I didn’t grew up with celebrating Valentine’s Day, I am not really into it. Even before we immigrated to Canada I knew about this holiday (yes, everything American was popular). My sis and I did little valentines and gave them out to our girlfriends (we were too young to have boyfriends at that time). When I met DH, he was working at a restaurant, and of course, on Valentine’s Day it was all hands on deck. For the first few years we would go out on February 13th, to pay tribute to Valentine’s Day, although without all those cheesy cards and gifts. It was nice; most of the restaurants were pretty empty, no waiting, exceptional service and you can order whatever you want. So, when DH quit being a cook, we decided to have a Valentine’s day dinner on Feb. 14. What a disaster that was! Waiting for 2 hours to get into a very cramped restaurant, having to choose from a pre-set menu, plus they were out of my favourite desert!!! So, we said NEVER AGAIN and continued with our little tradition to going out for dinner on the 13th (and sometimes having Valentine’s dinner at home with friends :) ). We did try it again on the 14th, when my sis & BIL made reservations for themselves but their DD got sick and they stayed home – it was a bit better, as there was no wait but still the restaurant was very crowded, and that table was so close that we felt like at a communal table LOL, not a bit romantic. So, today, Feb 13th, we are going out for our “Valentine’s Day Dinner”, a nice occasion to get together with my sis & BIL and BIL & SIL and have some quality time together (minus all the kids). So looking forward to it.

On the other note, a bit nervous about our RE appointment tomorrow. I know that all tests were great, but still have some irrational nervousness, and preparing a bunch more questions with reference to a protocol. The vacation to Mexico is already booked for the 24th of February, so would have to work around it. We are also going to NYC on March 17th through 20th to attend a Vision Expo, provided I am not in the middle of stims and monitoring (as RE said that monitoring will be daily).

I'll report on my apt with RE tomorrow, and for now has to get back to work, so that I can get home in time to have dinner at a restaurant (reservations are made for 8:30 :) )

2 comments:

  1. I gave my husband a box of his favourite chocolates today (Bernard Callebaut - yummy!). I don't like Valentine's Day. I would rather have Feb 13 as our "I love you" Day. :)

    ReplyDelete