The beginning of the week brought with it some unpleasant news. The photographer called and said that he has a cold and he doesn't want to cough on our little one. It was nice that he is so responsible, but I was a bit disappointed as I was very much looking forward to the photo shoot. We have to reschedule for the following week. As it was very cold and raining (and snowing one morning) I stayed home with the little one, but otherwise Monday through Wednesday was the same routine.
On Thursday (April 26) when the little one turned 6 weeks, I had the cancelled photo shoot. I also had my hairdresser appointment at noon which I kept. The little one was a bit fussy in the morning so I was happy when my mom came a bit earlier so she helped me with him and I could get dressed. We were a bit late for the appointment. The little one was in his car seat all the time. He was supposed to be sleeping, but he couldn't settle down, so my mom put a receiving blanket over the car seat and he felt asleep. At the end, I got a nice haircut :) and was very happy. The little one and I actually manage to go for a walk later in the day.
Friday (April 27), I had my 6 week follow up appointment. All 3 of us went. The nurse/receptionist was very happy to meet the little one. Unlike all other receptionists I have met, she is the sweetest and nicest one. The doctor asked all the standard questions, then he asked what are we doing about protection. We asked if it is needed as we have MFI. He said that since the count is not 0 anything is possible, although if I am breastfeeding I should not be ovulating and thus the chance of me getting pregnant is much less. I told him about my mom who got pregnant with my sis when I was about 3 months old (and she was breastfeeding exclusively). We also asked him if we have to wait a year to get pregnant. He said ideally yes, but if by some miracle I get pregnant before nobody is going to be forcing abortion (a complete different story from what my friend said her doctor told her - that it is life threatening!). He asked if there is a possibility of me getting pregnant with twins, and I told him that they don't run in any of our families, so only if I do FET, but we are not planning to do FET until 2013 (and I am actually thinking of summer of 2013). Then he checked the incision and did a pap smear (that I totally didn't expect). After we were done (which again was very quick) we decided to stop at Ik.ea which was very close by. We needed to buy some stuff plus some lights for the little one's bedroom. As we were walking through the showrooms the little one was getting very fussy as it was about half an hour before his feeding, so I found the feeding room and fed him. It is nice that some stores have those rooms. DH and I were talking about it that it makes such a big difference - it is not much investment by the company as the room is tiny and it only has two chairs and a changing table, but it was so helpful when the little one is crying from the top of his lungs. It sure beats feeding him in the car. After he was fed and happy we went to Cost.co and then hurried home as it was time to feed him again. Since we spent most of the afternoon together, DH decided to work from home (bonus for me!). BIL & SIL again invited us for Shabbat dinner, but I flatly refused telling DH that the little one had such a loaded morning and afternoon that he needs to spend the evening at home, besides we would see them all on Saturday.
Saturday (April 28), the cleaning lady was coming and we were supposed to go to my parents' house for breakfast. We were thinking of getting up around 8 a.m. to prepare the house and put things together to go to my parents' house, but somehow we woke up around 8:30 a.m. DH was frantically tidying up the house, while I was feeding the baby. I barely had time to dress before she came upstairs. So of course, we left the house late, and got to my parents 30 minutes later than we expected. DH & my dad were doing taxes which were due on the 30th and my mom, my brother, the little one and I went for a walk. We actually ended up spending over 1.5 hours outside as we walked on a trail and visited my best friend's parents who lived nearby. In the evening was my nephew's birthday, so we went to my SIL & BIL's house. The little one slept a bit in his car seat and then was going from one person to another. I think that got him over stimulated and when it was time to feed him and put him for his sleep he wouldn't fall asleep. DH & I went downstairs to MIL apartment and stayed there for over an hour listening to all of the commotion upstairs. As the kids were singing happy birthday, or rather yelling from the top of their lungs, I was very happy the the little one was downstairs in a cool and dark place. He didn't fall asleep in his bassinet but managed to fall asleep in my arms and we went upstairs to quickly have cake and headed home.
When we got home and put the little one to bed, I had a mini breakdown as I was exhausted from lack of sleep. I usually supplement the night sleep (which is around 4 hours in total) with at least two 45 minute increments, once when DH takes the little one while preparing to go to the office, and second time during the little one's first nap (during the second nap we are off to walk the neighborhood), but as it happened I didn't have that on Thursday (taking shower before the hairdresser appointment), on Friday (my obgyn appointment) and Saturday (due to cleaning lady coming early). So DH had to force me to go to bed as soon as the little one was in the dream land. I actually made him come to bed with me too, but later compromised and he watched some TV on the computer in the office which is adjacent to the bedroom.
On Sunday (April 29), the weather was great and we agreed to go for a long walk with my parents' friends and my parents. The friends leave next to a protected moraine and have a long trail through the moraine. I fed the little one at home but by the time we got all our things together and got to the friends' house it was time to feed him again. Once that was accomplished we were off for a walk. We ended up walking for over 2.5 hours and the little one was sleeping all through the walk. I was happy that my timing was perfect as we got back to their house I fed him again and we all had a nice dinner together.
On Monday (April 30), it was a regular day until it became even better. There was a knock on the door and an envelope came. It was addressed to DH so I opened it and it had our little one's Canadian passport. Yei!!!
My sister also arranged for her and me to got do our eyebrows at 8:00 p.m. I was freaking out a bit, as the evenings are very unpredictable with the little one sometimes feeding every hour. It dawned on me that I should pump and leave some milk with DH so he can feed if necessary. I pumped for about 5 minutes and got 60ml. I wasn't sure if it was enough or not, but hoped it would tie him over in case of emergency. Well, I put the little one to bed at 8 p.m. and when I came back after 9 p.m. everything was nice and quiet. So we decided to use this milk for a dream feed at 11 p.m. DH fed the little one for the first time, but once he finished the bottle he was looking for more and that's were I came in. The little one took my breast after the bottle with no problem!!! Now the life is becoming easier!!! I was so petrified of introducing a bottle as I was afraid of nipple confusion. So now, DH can do the dream feed and I can SLEEP!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment