This week, we’ve seen the following
new activities:
1)
First of all, we managed to shed a tear! The first one
was actually about a week ago, and I thought that the little one was getting
sick as he was also coughing and sneezing. Then this week, the little one
managed to squeeze out another one as he was crying.
2)
We also noticed that he started making bubbles with his
saliva, and I was thinking that he started teething, but was told that it is
waaay too early at 6 weeks.
3)
The little one also started to reject his pacifier more
often, although he still uses it to soothe himself.
Tuesday, May 1, started like any
regular day. I did some laundry when the little one was down for a nap, and
then close to noon DH called and said that we are going to NY (well, Jersey
City, which is just across the river) as he had an emergency with his business.
So I was told to start packing. We did
discuss this possibility earlier, we just didn’t know if and when we have to
go. I started packing as much as I could with the little one in my hands, and
when DH came he helped me pack and load the car and we were off on the road by
7 p.m. We crossed the border with no
problem. At the beginning of the trip I was sited at the front and was turning
around to the back seat pretty much every few minutes – to give him his
pacifier, to move his blanket, to move the screen on top of his car seat so
that sun wouldn’t shine in his face. A
few hours into the trip I was getting very nauseous, so after we crossed the
border I moved to the back seat to be next to the little one. We moved the
front seat all the way to the front and I had lots of space at the back. DH
wanted to go as far as possible and then stop for the night. We stopped a few
times. Once just before the border when I breast fed the little one, and then
at a service station for an 11 o’clock dream feed. I actually pumped so that one
of the feedings be easier. Then we were supposed to drive for another two hours
and arrive to a hotel by about 1 a.m., but it turned out that DH misjudged the
timing and we didn’t arrive to the hotel until after 2 a.m. I was happy that
the little one was still asleep, but he was getting fussy as his feeding time
was approaching. The good thing was that the hotel was only about an hour drive
from New York.
On Wednesday, May 2, we did get a
bit of sleep and after having breakfast at the hotel (which the little one
attended in his car seat and pretty much slept through) we were off to our
destination. Of course, we hit very heavy traffic getting close to Jersey City
and didn’t get to our destination until 10 a.m. Again, it was very close to the
little one’s feeding time and I actually just grabbed him in his car seat and
hurried onto the premises.
I really like the area where the
business premises are. While packing I
was imagining how I will be taking two walks every day, while DH will be taking
care of business. I took a book, sunglasses and sunscreen. You probably guessed
it… when we opened curtains in the hotel on Wednesday morning – it was raining.
Hmmmm… I completely didn’t plan for that and haven’t even considered it as an
option. It was raining when we got to the premises. So I put the little one for
his first nap inside. I was given a little room for my use that somehow turned
out into storage (although it did have a nice big window). I did venture
outside when it wasn’t raining very hard. I ran to the car to get a rain cover
for the stroller. It was also chilly so I was wearing my warm leather coat with
a hood. The little one and I were sent to buy lunch as DH was busy dealing with
problems. Luckily I put the rain cover on the stroller as it started to rain
very hard the moment I got to the store.
After lunch, it was only drizzling and the little one and I decided to
go for a little walk, which was refreshing after being stuck in a car and then
inside. At around 5 p.m. DH drove us to our hotel, where we checked in, took a
shower and were off to have dinner. The
little one was asleep in his car seat for his night sleep, and we got back just
in time for the dream feed at 11 p.m. when I put him to bed in the bassinette from
the stroller which I placed on our king side bed in between DH and myself. This was the best decision, and I only wish
that I could do it at home. It was so much easier to quiet him down if he was
fussy at night as all I had to do is just stretch my arm instead of getting up
and walking to his bassinette. DH
actually had to leave right after dinner and didn’t get back to the hotel until
after I finished the 2 o’clock feed (around 3 a.m.)
On Thursday, May 3, it was still
chilly in NJ and cloudy so it looked like the rain is going to start any minute.
So after having breakfast, which was just a bagel with eggs at a café close to
the hotel, I made DH go to Wal.mart to buy an umbrella for me, plus we needed
some more diapers for the little one. I was appalled that the same type of
diapers was $10 cheaper in NJ than at home. Ugh!!! DH was again very busy and the little one and
I were on our own most of the day, although we did go out to lunch together.
The place was tiny so we put the little one in his car seat and when he woke up
during the lunch DH just rocked him back to sleep with one arm, while continued
eating with another. But, at least the little one slept through the dinner
without even stirring!
I was happy when I opened the
curtains on Friday, May 4, and it was finally sunny! We decided to have
breakfast at the hotel and put the little one in a stroller. He wasn’t sleeping
so me and DH took turns eating while the other one was pushing the stroller
around. Actually, the same thing happened at lunch time. The little one was
fussing and he was in his stroller. Since the stroller was on my left, I ended
up pushing the stroller back and forth with my left arm while eating with my
right one. But we managed and it wasn’t a big deal! I am saying that as a
friend of mine was asking how are we coping with the little one and going out,
as she cannot imagine going out with her baby as he wakes up and would rather
get a sitter for him. Well… to each his own… I feel much better knowing that
the little one is with me and that he can get his food right away. But back to NJ.
Friday was our last day in NJ and
we checked out of the hotel right after breakfast. The weather was amazing –
very hot. So I decided that the first nap the little one will take at the
premises and for the second nap we would go for a long walk. Oh how I enjoyed
the hot weather! I ended up walking along Hudson river looking at the New York
skyline for over 2 hours! If I didn’t have to feed the little one, I would have
walked more.
We left the premises around 4 p.m.
when we had lunch and then some ice cream. We decided to go shopping and
stopped at a shopping plaza where we usually enjoy shopping. Unfortunately,
this time couldn’t find much. All we bought were seat belt covers for the
little one, and then headed for dinner at my favourite restaurant, which only
has locations in the states. There was a huge line up and a long waiting list,
so I decided to feed the little one in the car before we have dinner. When I
finished feeding, the beeper went off and we hurried in. So of course the
little one was not asleep. The restaurant was buzzing loudly with loud music
and loud conversation, and I was thinking that in this mayhem the little one
would never fall asleep. It did take some effort and DH was even considering
going outside and walking with him, when the little one finally surrendered to
his sleep and we had a nice dinner.
After dinner at around 10 p.m. we
were on our way home. The plan was to drive as much as possible so that on
Saturday it wouldn’t take much to get home, but half an hour into the trip DH
was complaining that he is falling asleep. We decided not to risk it and
stopped for the night at the same hotel where we stayed on the way there. As
this time breakfast was not included, we decided to have some food in the
little town where we stayed, and found a pretty good chain eatery. We saw a few
of the same eateries on our way, so decided that it is a good option for
breakfast on the go. We did have to stop
a few times. The first stop was at a
resting stop where I fed the little one and all of us took a washroom break.
That whole stop took about 40 minutes. At the next stop in addition to feeding
the little one we had some food ourselves so stopped for over an hour. After that stop we figured if the little one
could hold it for about 3.5 hours we didn’t need to stop anymore. Well… there
was a huge line up at the border. The
little one decided that he wanted to eat and started screaming from the top of
his lungs. Me coaxing him only worked for a bit, so when we finally reached the
border /customs official he was screaming very very loud. This helped as the
questions were down to a minimum. DH also asked where we could stop to breast
feed and were directed to a place where people who are being detained stop. DH
looked around and saw cameras all over the place. I told him that I don’t care
as all I want to do is to feed my baby.
As we were going through the border
my parents called a few times, when I called them back they invited us to come
over to have some dinner with them. After eating snacks on the road a good meal
was in order so we agreed. My MIL also called to tell us that she made food for
us. She wanted the keys to our house so she can bring the food or cook or
something. DH told her NO, but she still cooked the food, just in her own
house. So after my parents we had to stop by my BIL’s house to pick up her
food. We didn’t get home until close to 10 p.m.
The little one was still sleeping in his car seat and we let him sleep
until the 11 p.m. dream feed.
On Sunday, May 6, we decided to
take it easy. I did manage to get DH to walk with me my long walk in the
neighbourhood. As DH has an app on his phone which can measure distance, it
turned out that my long walk is 6km!!! Wow, I walk 6 km almost every day! I
couldn’t believe it. I also got a message on my phone being invited to a mommy
group on Monday, May 7, and I decided that I am going to try to make it. But the night from Sunday to Monday, the
little one was very fussy and wasn’t taking my breast as usual. After we came
back from US I continued pumping at around 8 p.m. feeding and then DH feeding
the little one from a bottle. He really enjoyed this time together, but as the
little one started to fuss more at night during feedings, I decided to stop
that practice and only leave the bottle feeding to when I have to be out.
Notwithstanding that we had a crazy
night, I did put the little one in the car seat and walked over one street for
mommy and baby group. When I got to her
house there was only another mommy there with a toddler (2-3 years old), as
that girl’s older child is the same age. It turned out that this group is for
toddlers and my little one and her little one were the only newborns there. We
stayed for an hour and the little one actually watched from my arms at all the
mayhem that was going on as more and more mommies and kids were coming in. On
my way home, I decided to make my own group as I figured I know at least two
more mommies with the kids the same age as my little one.
As the day was getting to a close
and I was putting the little one to bed, I remembered that it was my grandma’s
birthday. I started telling the little one about my grandma and that his middle
name is in her honour and how I really truly wished she could have seen her
great grandson (her 4th). I told him that on May 7 I would always call her to wish her a happy
birthday and she would wish me a happy birthday in return. That in the years
close to her death, her memory was going and she didn’t remember to wish me a
happy birthday, but I didn’t care as long as I could talk to her. She was the
only grandma that I have ever known (and the only grandparent that I ever had,
although I do vaguely remember my great grandparents – her parents, as they
passed away in my childhood). My grandma
spoiled me and my sis by buying us ice cream with her last money, but she also
was strict and when we misbehaved she could hit us with the cable from the
phone (she had a stationary phone with a long cable so it could be moved around
her apartment). When I would travel to Europe, I would always call her from
different countries. She passed away a few years ago, and I still miss her like
crazy. I did started crying so DH had to
take the little one. But, tomorrow is my birthday, so something to look forward
to!
No comments:
Post a Comment