As we get closer to the little one
being 8 weeks old, here is what has been happening to him:
1)
He started to eat his fist. Like ALL the time. He
prefers it to a pacifier and he tries to shove it in his mouth even during
breast feeding.
2)
Also as he was giving me his usual smiles (did I tell
you that my baby is very sociable!!!) he actually started to make sounds as
well and it sounded like laughter and not just silent huge toothless smiles that
I so love!!!
3)
I was also playing with him and sticking my tongue out,
and he was copying me. He started sticking his tongue out, although it doesn’t
come out all the way. (Note to self, I do need to discuss this with his paediatrician
as he has a little thing under his tongue).
So this week was my birthday! To
tell you the truth, I wasn’t very excited about it. It was like last year when
I didn’t want to see anybody, but a big difference was that last year I was
getting over a BFN after a perfect IVF cycle, and this year all I wanted to do
is to be with my baby.
So I decided that I’ll have my
parents and MIL for breakfast and invite close friends and relatives for late night
snacks, for 9 p.m. It did feel like
every other day, the only difference was the DH stayed home. I still had to
juggle the little one’s feeding schedule so that we could have an uninterrupted
breakfast. DH made omelette and a few salads with bagels and bought some
sweets. Then as we all got outside, my mom was complaining that the little
windows on our garage doors were still covered with plastic from the
manufacturer, so she and MIL decided to try to peel it off. It didn’t work, so
then DH and my dad spend the next hour or so peeling and scraping that plastic
off which melted in the sun. First the
little one was asleep in the house, but as normal it was his short nap and I
took him outside. My mom suggested that I put him in a stroller and he
continued napping. Which was great. Once
the windows were clean, everyone went home. DH said that he needs to work for a
bit and me and the little one went for our usual walk, and the day continued as
usual.
Once the little one was off to bed,
DH and I started preparations for the evening. He was cooking and I was setting
the table. Most of the people got to our house between 9 and 9:30p.m. and after
initial congratulations, conversations at the table (or actually at the
countertop as everyone loves to congregate around the isle in the kitchen) drifted
in various directions. I’ve got lots of fresh flowers which I didn’t really
enjoy as I had to cut them and figure out the vase situation, which took some
time. My aunt was the best – with the potted orchids and then one couple who
didn’t bring any flowers as they were running late and I sincerely thanked them
for that. We had snacks and a birthday
cake. DH was hilarious... as he was looking for candles he found three
sparkles, so he lit the sparkles first before the candle (which was actually a
Chanukah candle, LOL) and by the time the candle was lit and on the cake the
sparkles were done. The cake was delicious – red velvet cake. My SIL bought it
for one of the birthdays and I really liked it, so I asked DH to buy it. It
turned out that most of the people at my party, including SIL, didn’t really
like velvet cake (and didn’t even take a piece), oh well…. We got more!!! Around 11 p.m. I went upstairs to feed the
little one for dream feed. Well, it didn’t really work. As he was continuing
eating he spit the milk out and it went not only out of his mouth, but also out
of his nose and all over me (I was glad I took off my nice top before feeding
him). At the same time he also pooed all over as well. So I called DH and it
took some time for us to clean him up and then for me to put him back to
bed. When I got downstairs people
started to leave as it was Monday and people had to go to work the next
morning. It all worked out nice. DH
& I cleaned a little bit and were in bed around midnight.
Wednesday, May 9, started like a
regular day. I called my mom and told her that we have lots of cake left over
so she came over with my brother at around 5 p.m. just as DH got home as
well. She said that she met my sis at
the pool where my brother and my niece and nephew take swimming lessons, and my
sis said that my nephew had some breathing issues and BIL took him to a walking
clinic so he is missing his swimming class. Then on my mom’s way to our house,
my sis called and said that BIL was told to go to emergency and she is driving
there with my niece. As we were having tea with cake my sis called again. She
was hysterical. Apparently, BIL barely
made it into the ER when my nephew’s throat just closed off. The doctors had to
struggle to put a tiny tube in to give him air. They were trying to stabilize
him to move him to sick kids hospital downtown, but that hasn’t happened. She
asked for my mom to pick up my niece and drive her home, so mom left right
away. DH and I were in total shock as I
couldn’t even imagine what my sis and BIL were going through with their little
one barely clinging to life.
My mom came back as my brother
stayed with us. She left her car at the hospital and drove my sis’ car as it
had a car seat for my niece. My mom was all pale. She said that doctors and
nurses were working feverishly on my nephew and they don’t know what caused it.
The doctors were on the phone with Sick Kids but couldn’t move him yet. My mom
left to go home, when my BIL’s brother called and asked DH for a ride to retrieve
my BIL’s car as it was also at the hospital and they were prepared to be moved
to Sick Kids. At around 11 p.m. I got a message from my sis that my nephew is
finally stable enough to be moved to Sick Kids and they were in an ambulance on
the way there.
The night was rough as both DH and
I were worrying about our nephew. He was
in the critical care unit and my sis and BIL were spending the night on the
chairs next to his bed. Thursday, May 10, I was just exhausted from all the
phone calls and messages about my nephew as the news started to spread. He was
sedated and very uncomfortable and the swelling was not going down. The worst part
was that the doctors didn’t know what caused it and that was scary.
Friday, May 11, was pretty much the
same. My nephew was getting better a bit, but still was intubated and the
doctors were running tests. We had Shabbat dinner at my BIL & SIL house and
my niece came over as well. It was nice to see that she is not really affected
by all that drama.
On Saturday, May 12, we were back
to BIL & SIL’s house for breakfast, and thereafter needed to go shopping so
went to Cos.tco. I hate going shopping on the weekend as it usually is a ZOO
and it was this time too. When we got home, I was tired but the little one didn’t
have his walk yet. I was so tempted to just stay home and watch TV or on my
computer, but made an effort and DH & I went for my 6 km walk
together. We were tired, but it felt
amazing!
During the day, the news were
coming in from my sis that my nephew was doing much better, the tubes were out
and they might be moved to a normal room. First there were no beds available,
then there was shortage of staff, and only in the afternoon they were moved to
a regular room as the doctors wanted to keep my nephew around for observations.
We all breathed a sigh of relief.
On Sunday, May 13, I told DH that I
really wanted to go for a walk on Lakeshore. I love that place. Since the time DH showed me that trail when
we met so about 10-11 years, I have been imagining taking the walk with our
kids as there are a lot of families there. Last summer and fall as I was
walking the trail and boardwalk being pregnant, I was thinking of how I’ll be
taking the little on there, and I really wanted to do that. So, I fed the
little one, DH did some work on the backyard and we were off. I calculated the
time so that I can feed the little one in the car upon our arrival and then we
would have around 3 hours for our walk. That’s what we did. We actually ended up walking a total of 10
km! It was nice. The weather was very warm and sunny. The little one was
sleeping one way, then when we turned to go back, he woke up and was a bit
fussy. We tried to calm him down with a pacifier but he was still fussy. So I
picked him up and walked with him for a few minutes. The problem was that it
was hot and there were a lot of insects, so we were afraid that one of those
will bite him, and back to the stroller he went. I remembered that when I was
taking out the stroller mattress I saw a panel that can be raised. DH did that
and the little one was able to half sit in the stroller and see what was going
on. He liked it and the rest of the walk was fussy free :). The little one did
get fed once we were in our car. During the walk we got the news that my nephew
was finally released from the hospital. Yei!!!
My parents also called and we ended up stopping at their place for
dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment