Wednesday, October 26, 2011

20 weeks - Half Way to the Finish Line !!!

Well, the week 20 which started last Thursday has not been as excited as the previous week, although we are half way through our pregnancy. I have been feeling my baby more during this week and feeling him brings smile to my face wherever I am. In accordance with one of my tickers, the baby is now the size of a cantaloupe, and it definitely feels this way. I think he is constantly growing and I feel how heavy my tummy becomes and constant stretching of my tummy.

I was on pins and needles on Friday afternoon waiting from a call from my friend in the States as she was having her anatomy scan. When we were in US, I was kidding that I am going to have a girl and she is going to have a boy (that's what we both wanted) and that our kids would get married. Well, I am having a boy, and was sure that she is having a girl, as it switched for us. She jokingly suggested that if she is having a girl we can switch. LOL. She is my best friend and I am ashamed to admit that I felt a ping of jealousy when I thought that I'll have to give her all the girl stuff that my sis saved for me. Well the call came, and she is also having a BOY. Ha ha, so there will be no marriage, but two best friends. Good enough for me!!!

Friday evening I made a date with my pregnant friend N who is just a few days ahead with a due date on March 5th. We actually made it a double date and had our DHs with us. I was lucky that my boss left a few minutes before I had to leave so it wasn't a big problem. The dinner was nice. She looked great and her tummy looked huge, but she is much more petite than me. The surprise was that she gained close to 12 kg and I only 1.5 kg (and I am trying to keep it at that for a while if I can, although now it is closer to 2kg). We were done close to 10 p.m. and even though we were invited to another friend's house, I was too exhausted to go anywhere else, as the night before I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to pee, and when I returned to bed, DH wasn't sleeping and wanted to hug me and kiss the baby (apparently he just got to bed), so one thing led to another and you can guess where it ended. So, of course, thereafter I had no inclination to go back to sleep, we chatted for a bit about his business and then he easily went to sleep, and I was left tossing and turning all night unable to fall asleep or dozing off for little periods of time. Ugh. So, I decided to go to bed on Friday night earlier, and of course, as I got to bed, I decided to call my friend in the States as our earlier conversation was very short as she had tons of people to call to tell the news. I ended up on the phone with her for over 2 hours!!! We talked about everything including our vacation in the near future and she brought up a couple of good points - what are we going to eat?, what are we going to wear to the beach? and what are we going to use as a sun block? Hmmm.... have to think about that more. By the way, any thoughts re whether it is safe to eat raw vegetables and fruits on an all-inclusive resort in Mexico?

Saturday started as always with me going to my prenatal yoga class. On the way back I decided to do a surprise to DH and buy him his favourite Star.bucks coffee, but then I remembered that the week before he actually walked to the store(as we have one car) and bought himself one. So, I called and told him about the surprise from his son & myself, and he said if I show up with a Star.bucks coffee, he will act very much surprised LOL. So we did just that.

As we were having breakfast my dad called and invited us for sushi for lunch. Umm... second day in a row... but he was so insistent that we decided to oblige. As it was close to noon and we were just having breakfast (as I don't eat before going to yoga class), I told him that we should do it close to 3 or 4 p.m. I also was not in the mood for shopping, so I convinced DH to go to my parents' house and go for a walk on the new walkway built by the city next to their house. The weather was a bit chilly, but the walk was still nice. I am estimating that we walked over 4 km, with me, my mom and my brother walking and DH with my dad rollerblading. We did go out for sushi thereafter, and DH also invited MIL to come with us. Since my parents were present too, I didn't mind her that much, so overall it was a nice experience. We dropped MIL at her house and went home to chill out a bit. I tried to sleep, but was not successful. For the rest of the night we just went to my sis' house to spend time with her, BIL and our mutual friend.

Sunday, as DH was driving me to the subway to go to the office, he mentioned how good the weather was, as it was much warmer than Saturday. I did promise him that I would go outside for a bit, which I did walking a longer way from the subway to the office outside. I did spend most of the time in the office though.

Monday, I decided to see if I can sneak out of work a bit earlier, and it just turned out that I didn't have any pressing matters (and by the way, earlier for me is 6:30 p.m.). When I got home, I managed to get DH to agree to go for a walk with me. It was close to freezing, but I was dressed pretty warm. The only thing was that I had a t-shirt and a warmer sports jacket on top, which didn't close, and then my warm jacket which does close, but my tummy created a little tent so the wind would go underneath and the tummy was only covered by the t-shirt and felt a bit naked. Oh well, as we started walking we both got warmed out. We had a nice 2.5 km walk in our neighbourhood. As DH was driving earlier in the afternoon he noticed a cool "haunted house" so we went to see it. The people who live there did go all out. It was a corner house and it was fully decorated with huge moving cats filled with air, to tons of tiny details and an amazing lighting. We decided that the next day we would go in another direction to another "haunted house" which usually is the star of the neighbourhood, as they not only decorate outside, but also inside and their back yard and take donations on Halloween to benefit Sick Kids Hospital, which is a great idea. Unfortunately, both Tuesday and Wednesday I worked to my normal hours (i.e. 7:30 p.m.) and it has been raining, so not really walking mood.

I've been also thinking a lot about our OBGYN visit this Friday (21w1d) and I have a few questions to ask the doctor:
1) I want to know his position regarding flu shots. I am more inclined on taking it (the one specifically formulated for pregnant women, without mercury), but do want to hear his opinion;
2) I also want to know the results of our NT & IPS tests, and of course the second u/s. I have been thinking about it and the last blood work for IPS was done at 17w, so his office should probably have results already, and if they didn't call, then it means that everything is alright. I was also thinking that whatever the results are - it would not change our mind about giving birth to this baby. So, theoretically, who cares...
3) I also want to confirm with him that it is ok for me to fly in about 2 weeks (yei the vacation is coming!!!) as well as ask his thoughts regarding food in Mexico;
4) The last point, is that I got a bit paranoid that I am squishing our baby when I am sleeping. I do use the body pillow, but most of the time I am actually sleeping leaning on to eat and almost on top. I usually feel a few nudges from the inside when I am trying to all asleep or when trying to sleep the last minutes before the alarm. So I think I might not leave him a lot of space. I don't know....

So, yesterday, I also tried my two swimming suites (they are both tankinies), and one is already too small. I can still fit into it, but the underwear are too tight and I have to make sure I fold them to be under my tummy, and then the top part doesn't cover the full tummy, which is OK when you are normal weight and have a nice pregnant belly, but not when you are overweight. So DH & I did some research and bought 2 maternity swimsuits on line and sent them to our US friends, cause its cheaper and they are coming with us so they'll bring it with them to our vacation. But since we are on the topic of my body, here is the scoop for 21 weeks. I gained almost 2 kg, which puts me at about the same weight as I was pre pregnancy. That's ok. I have tons of stretch marks on my bbs and my thighs, but I had stretch marks there before, so not really sure if there are new ones (that's the beauty of being overweight all your life and yo-yoing weight). The tummy is holding on, no stretch marks there, and I am hoping none are going to develop. I do put stretch mark cream all over every morning, so here is hoping that it will work. Well, that's it for now. With new updates to follow after OBGYN visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment