Well, today we are actually crossing into week 23, but I have been one busy bee lately so I let my blogging slide and this is going to be one long post.
I guess I should start with our OBGYN apt at 21w1d. As always it was quick, efficient and straight to the point. The doc quickly reviewed our ISP/NT results that were very good with a chance of down 1 in 20,0000 (which is the lowest that our hospital gives). The anatomy scan results were also in, and it did say "male" at the beginning of the report. The doc also told me that my blood work was good, including my iron level (I did have some problems with iron a few years ago). We've heard the heart beat again and the doc said that it was good too. He was measuring my uterus and it was about 10 cm or so above the belly button!!! (to tell you the truth, now at almost 23 weeks, I can feel the baby all over the place and both my upper and lower stomachs are very hard). We talked a bit about the flu shot and he was very adamant that we get it (we were swaying towards it anyways), he cautioned us that a flu complication can kill both me and the baby. We also asked him about our vacation in Mexico and his suggestions were to drink only bottled water and refrain from salads. I also talked to him about sleeping and I gravitate toward my stomach and wake up nauseous, he said to try to avoid sleeping on the stomach and it is better if I sleep on the side but need to lean in some direction, that I partially lean on my back. Next appointment in 4 weeks (which is exactly the week we are coming back). We also scheduled an apt for December in another 4 weeks as his morning started to fill in quickly (ugh...).
That Friday was also a girls night out. My sis picked me up as well as my SIL and another mutual friend (all three of them have 2 kids of roughly the same age). We went to a restaurant/lounge and had some fun. We were celebrating my pregnancy, and friend's finishing b/f and since she didn't drink for the last 4 years (having one kid, then b/f, then having another, then b/f again) she got a bit tipsy. I drove home as I was the only one who didn't drink that time. It was so nice to get out and talk mostly about kids :)
On Saturday, I went to my yoga class as always, and then DH & I ran some errands. In the evening we went to my parents' house as we were babysitting my brother. He was good. ME and him played some Wii while DH picked up some food for us. My brother managed to eat all of his oatmeal plus meat and rice that DH bought (he is 13 and his body is growing I guess). My brother was so cute, when I ask him where the baby is - he pats my tummy. I really love my brother as he is also my baby (I was 18 and a half when he was born and we were very close). I helped him brush his teeth and put his pj on and wished him goodnight, and then when I came up in about 10 minutes he was not sleeping yet, so I just sat next to his bed a bit. My brother is autistic so he need much more help than a regular 13 year old. As I was sitting in the dark in his room, I realized that I can do it, I can be a mom to a baby boy, and my baby would love me as much (if not more) than my brother.
I took Sunday off and I think I am getting some of the nesting instinct, as I went through the second bathroom (which is right across the baby's room and will be his bathroom) and threw out and recycled tons and tons of plastic bottles from all the shampoos, conditioners, creams and other cosmetics that I haven't been using for ages. DH was working on his computer and I was begging him to go for a walk, but then my sis called and invited me to come with her to parents' place so we can all go for a walk there. So off I went with my sis together with her kids as well as my mom and my brother. It was a nice 3 km walk, and I wish I could do it much more often.
On Monday was Halloween, and I was lucky that my boss disappeared from the office at around 3 p.m. I took an early train and was at home around 6 p.m. It was still light outside but kids already started to trick or treat. DH & I quickly had a bite to eat before my parents came over with my brother. I've been taking my brother trick or treating since he was 2 years old - every year, so that's our little tradition :). As we were getting ready to leave, we had about 10 kids come to our door to get candy. Our neighbourhood had soooo many kids out and we've met EVERYBODY! I have never seen so many kids and people on the streets. I guess the weather being not too cold contributed to that. We met up with my sis and her family as well as with my SIL and her family and tons of other friends. I got bunny ears with lights from my BIL (who worked a night club the night before and had all the trinkets). We mostly ended up walking either by ourselves or with my sis and my niece as others were taking too long talking to the vast amount of friends and acquaintances that we were meeting. There were so many kids that a few houses we visited ran out of candy. One guy told me that he went through 10 boxes of candy just giving out one candy per kid. I tried to take it easy and did not go up to all the doors with my brother, although I do worry as he can be a bit unpredictable (like actually going into people's houses), so I had to stay close anyways. By the end of about 2 hours of walking and trick or treating I was DONE. I had to stop a few times to bend over, which helps me feel better (I guess it releases pressure from somewhere). I wanted to show my parents a cool house in our neighbourhood, but by that time I was too exhausted to walk, so we got our car and just drove there and back. DH made some food for my parents, and I went through and sorted all the candy that my brother got (I also do it every year, LOL). Well I did eat some of it (he doesn't mind), but most of them went home with my brother.
On Tuesday my mom had a minor surgery. I talked to both her and dad before and then my sis called me and said that she left work early so she can stay with mom at the hospital since she is there all alone (which was a total BS as mom did not want anyone there and dad was picking her up). Of course, about 10 min after she called, my dad called that the doctor told him that it is ok to pick mom up, and then mom called herself. By the time my sis came, mom was already home. So then, mom called me and asked me if we would come over, and I couldn't say no. So I after work I went to my parents' house as opposed to going home. I enjoy spending time with my parents, but being a mid week night, by the time we got home, I was exhausted as it was very late.
I guess spending so much time withe my family and kids in general resulted in me really wanting my baby. I had very vivid dreams about my baby AFTER he was born, not the labour and delivery part, and when I woke up I had a real longing for him. I cannot imagine that I can love and long for someone who I've never even met. It is a new feeling to me. Till this day every time I see my growing belly in the mirror, I remind myself that YES it is actually happening to ME. We ARE having a baby in short 4 months. We've been on this road for such a long time that it is still hard to believe.
Thursday (22 weeks) started like a normal day until I got to the train and sat down. I felt sharp pains in my tummy and around, so I though that may be the baby is not comfortable (he is known for that- wants his space - just like his daddy), so I unzipped my jacket and that didn't help one bit. I had sharp pains all day and after doing some research on google I found out that those were probably still round ligament pains - and they were a common occurrence even at 22 weeks. Who knew??? Luckily the pain subsided on Friday, so I am thinking that the baby was going through a growth spur, and I am happy with that.
Last Friday I had lots of plans for what to do after work, but first decided to stop by my parents' place to pick up some dresses for the beach. Well my dad's friend showed up and needed help with his computer so we pretty much stayed at my parents until well into the night.
DH and I were both busy bees on Saturday. I had my yoga class and sugaring (Brazilian)right after (at a different place of course). I stopped by the house to have breakfast (at 1 p.m.) and had to rush out to go to a pedicure. The weather was so good that i decided to walk (it's only about 40 min walk). It was nice, but I had to stop a few times to bend over when I wasn't feeling to good. When I got to the place I saw my sis there. It was a surprise as I chatted with her in the morning and asked what her plans were and she said she didn't have any, but then when her kids went for an afternoon nap she called the place and they had an opening. So we had a nice time together catching up. Since I stopped taking an early train with her we don't interact as much. She also dropped me off at my house.
On Friday, I spent a great deal on the computer researching - I found out that there will be a flu clinic not far away on Saturday, found out what vaccine they offer and did research regarding those vaccines, including manufacturing documentation and information from various FDA applications. By the time I got home on Saturday after a pedi we only had less than an hour until the clinic would be closing. As I had a very heated discussion about this with my sis and SIL, I told DH not to tell anyone, and felt a bit bad sneaking around to get the shot. Once we got to the clinic (which was in the middle of the mall), I was still hesitating a bit if we are making the right decision, and then I saw how many infants they had there and decided that it was a right one. I did my research, I knew what I was doing, and it was my decision based on facts rather than somebody else's based mostly on emotional don't do it!
We stopped by at a store to buy a gift certificate for a friend (who I actually distanced myself from - or was it mutual? but that's a long story and not for this post). We headed downtown to a nice restaurant to celebrate her birthday. The food was good and we stayed there pretty late. Of course, during the course of the dinner I had to get up 5 or 6 times to go peel (but as everyone drank alcohol, I just jugged water, so that might have been the reason).
On Sunday, we had breakfast at my SIL's house with MIL cooking, and then I headed out to the office. DH was amazing. I did some research regarding sunscreens and chose a few natural brands. As I knew that I would not have any time to stop by a health food store, I forwarded to him my research and he got me two bottle - SPF 15 and SPF 30, although they were a bit pricey.
I was hoping to start packing on Monday, but it turned out to be a 13 hour day at the office. So, on Tuesday, I asked DH to get the suitcases upstairs into our bedroom so that I can start putting some clothes in them. Well, it is now Thursday, and mine has only 2 things in it. So as soon as I finish writing this blog, I am off to trying on clothes to take with us.
Some general observations for weeks 21 and 22:
- I still sneeze a lot during the day and occasionally have a runny nose;
- My bbs hurt and my nipples are extremely sensitive;
- I constantly feel pressure in my tummy and a lot of stretching pains and aches;
- It is getting hard to bend over to take off or put on my shoes, or pick something from the floor, it is also getting harder to getting up from sitting position;
- I think I feel the weight of my baby and he is getting heavier;
- I gained about 3 kg (and a bit upset by that) as it is not all baby, but my inability to get exercise into my daily routine and finishing up Halloween candy;
- the sleep has been awful. I've been sleeping in little increments waking up constantly to turn or to go pee. Even before I got pregnant I was sleeping with a body pillow. I basically just lean on it as opposed to sleeping directly on my stomach, but lately since my tummy grew so much, leaning on it made me nauseous and hence horrible time sleeping - tossing and turning all the time. A couple of nights ago I actually figured it out. I now put one end of the pillow between my knees, which surprisingly helps me to sleep more on my side rather than leaning on my stomach, who knew... I do wake up though when I have to change sides (but not as often as before), and unless I have to pee, I fall asleep pretty much right away. The only problem with that is that I think my thighs are starting to hurt a bit. Never a dull moment.
So I think this is it for now. My next update will follow once we are back home which will not be until Wednesday, November 23rd, at which point I'll be at the end of week 24!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment