Well, it was supposed to be short post (which I started writing over a week ago), but with all the changes happening and my life being so hectic, I had absolutely no time to spend the time at my computer documenting the past two weeks of my pregnancy. The time just flew by and tomorrow we are hitting the 34 weeks mark and into the 35th week. But lets start where I left off last.
On Thursday (32 weeks exact) I had my OB appointment. I was a bit worried as I looked like I lost a whole kilo so my total weight gain was about 4-4.5 kg. When I stepped on the scale at the OB's office, the nurse said that I lost a pound. Ok, pound doesn't sound as bad as a kilo. We then went to see the doc (there was no one else in the office - again, love him for no waiting) and I asked him about the lost weight, and he said that he is not worried. The baby is not a small baby and is measuring within the normal range. He also told me that my second test (the 2 hour one) came in normal, so I don't have GD. Yei! The highest score out of the three blood draws was 7.5, and the cut of is 7.8. So this was good news. Another good news was when I was on the examination table, he quickly found the head. Yep, the baby's head is already down! DH wanted to repeat that trick, but I told him to stay away, LOL. The doc did say that since it is my first pregnancy, he would not expect the baby to turn anymore (he wouldn't say that if it was like my 3rd or 4th child). So for now we are all set for a vaginal delivery (fingers crossed). He also told me that at the next appointment he will be taking a swab for some bacteria (I don't remember the name), but I've read about it in the book that he provided at the beginning of the pregnancy, so I wasn't surprise.
The surprise came later. When I told my sis about the swab, she told me that I probably have it as she had it. WTH?!? I've never knew that. With my niece she was in labour for the entire day so she got the full does of antibiotics, but with my nephew the labour progressed too quickly so she didn't get the entire dose. And why don't I remember that they had to stay at the hospital a little longer with my nephew since they were running more tests. Oh... well... She gave birth 3 weeks earlier and right from visiting her at the hospital we were off to the airport for a week in Paris, and I guess it slipped her mind to tell me afterwards. Never mind. The book says that about 15% of women have this thing, so we'll deal with it when the time comes.
Friday was an interesting day in my office. I think I said a million times that I don't like change. My work history is the proof of that - 4 years at my first job, 3.5 years at my second, and 5 years exactly when I leave on mat leave from this job. But, the changes are coming and there is nothing I can do about it. The new guy was supposed to start on Monday, so I had to clean up my office. The office where I spent long hours for the past 5 years. I did get a wee bit emotional as I was packing up and throwing some stuff out. I don't know how I am going to handle my last day at the office.
When DH picked me up from the train, we decided to go out for sushi. We had one major topic to discuss - are we starting basement renovations? Yes, you've heard it right, we are considering finishing our basement before the baby is born. The main concern was money and time. The thinking there is that if we don't do it now, with a new baby and me on mat leave, who knows when we are going to have enough money to finish the basement. Plus the guys swore that they can be done in 4 weeks. They've done work for both my sis and my SIL, and DH was very satisfied with their work. So we decided to go ahead with it. They are starting January 30 and should be finished before the little one makes his appearance (wish, pray, hope). Well DH said that even if our baby decided to come out a bit earlier, as long as the most messiest work is done (i.e. drywall and sending) we should be good. After sushi we actually stopped by BIL's house, so that I could see my self the good job that those contractors did. Then later on our friends A & C came over.
Saturday morning I told DH that after the events of the previous weeks, I was a bit afraid to drive, but he didn't feel like driving me (which I can totally understand) so I drove anyways and everything turned out ok. But when I got home, DH wasn't there. I was hungry and in a pissy mood (I only have a fruit before yoga and by the time I get home it is usually between 12:30 and 1 p.m., so a long time with no food). So I called him and he was at his brother's house. I asked him if he wanted to be picked up and he said "yes, in about 10 min". I waited about 15 min and drove to pick him up. When he didn't go out, I called him again, and he ask if I want to come in and I just lost it. I told him that if I wanted to spend time anywhere it would be in my own house on my own couch wrapped in blankets (as it was very cold outside). I hung up the phone, and waited a few minutes to calm down. Then I called him again, and told him that I will be going home and he should call me when he is done, to which he replied that he is coming out and to wait for him. Needless to say when he got into the car you could cut the tension with a knife. Once he got home we had breakfast and he said that he needs to go back to continue helping his brother. I was not impressed, as I would like to spend weekend with my husband, instead I spent it watching TV, working a bit and then taking a nap as I had a headache. I called him to remind him that he is driving my dad to the airport so should be home by 5p.m. We both drove to my parents' house and then I stayed with my mother and brother and we played Wii, while DH made a trip to the airport. He was quick so we all played a bit more once he was back.
Sunday morning, I decided to look at the baby stuff that one friend brought over. Those were the things that my sis lent her. As DH & I tried to figure out what was what, I actually sent pics to my sis and it turned out that a lot of pieces where missing major parts. There were legs from a walker but no top, and there was a seat from a jumping thing but no legs. There was also some stuff missing that my sis gave her and she didn't give back. Both sis and DH were pissed. I had things returned by another two friend and everything was brought back in pristine condition and order, so this one was a one off. Anyways, we decided to go shopping. As we were leaving the supermarket, I started to get blurry vision. It was in patches, so I could still see something, but couldn't read anything. It passed in about 15 minutes and we continued. All we had to do is return one of the gifts that we got for new years, and since we only got a credit, we decided to look around and pick up something useful. I started to get a very bad headache and then nausea, but the time we were done, I didn't know if I would be able to handle the drive home without an "accident". I felt so horrible that the only thing I could do was to lay down on the couch and close my eyes. DH quickly prepared some food, as by that time I was without food for over 4 hours. I had a bit to eat and then felt asleep on the couch. We were invited to A & C's house, but because I felt so shitty we cancelled and stayed home that evening. I still don't know what it was. We tried to look for our bp monitor, but when I was cleaning before NY party I put is somewhere I couldn't remember where and DH couldn't find it. By the time I was going to bed, I felt much better.
Monday the new guy was starting. I naively thought that with him starting my life is going to get easier. Boy was I wrong! I have never been so exhausted! As I don't have my office anymore (the new guy is there), I don't have any privacy whatsoever. Plus I spent every moment with the new guy and since he doesn't have much experience he did not really "hit the ground running". My boss and his partner made a workstation for me in the boardroom - which was nice of them. The partner actually ordered and set up a new computer, two screens and an ergonomic keyboard, which I love. I also took my chair that I've been using for the past 5 years and am comfy in with me to the boardroom. But, as I said I have no privacy and no down time. The entire week I spent in between my former office and the boardroom. With absolutely no time or place to take my shoes off and put my feet up on my computer, which I could do in the privacy of my own office. Plus on Monday, I had to stay late, which really pissed me off!
Then on Tuesday I got a call from a friend, L, who once was my BF but we grew apart. She left a message that our mutual friend is having a baby shower on Friday. I didn't really want to talk to my friend L, and tried to gather some info. I found out that she doesn't have a registry, I was a bit annoyed, as short notice didn't give me anytime for shopping, so on the way home, just stopped by Toys R Us and bought her a gift card. On Wednesday, I actually did talk to L, and it turned out that it was a surprise baby shower and everyone should be there at 5:30 p.m. with some food. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind bringing food, but the problem is that for me to make it at 5:30 p.m. to her house, I should head there straight from the office, and would not have any time to stopping anywhere else. L suggested that DH prepares a salad, but for him to do that he would have to take half a day off. Anyways, I was a bit annoyed with this "surprise", but I had to go, as she already replied that she is coming to mine. I think I forgot to mention that on that weekend my sis sent out invitations to my baby shower which will be at my house on February 12!!!
Wednesday night my cousin was coming over to sis house so me and DH went over there as well as she wanted to see both me and the babe :) We spent a nice time together with my cousin, her hubby, DH & my sis. My cousin's hubby does not how to keep the mood light and the conversation flowing.
Thursday night we reached 33 weeks and into our 34th week, and I cooked! Yes, I did. I made an executive decision to make something for the baby shower that I can take with me to the office and then bring over. So egg salad it was. DH did help with making the final adjustments. He is the cook in the family after all.
Friday was very hectic. The train was late and when I arrived at the office I told my boss I have to leave early. And I managed to actually leave 4:45 p.m. which is extremely early for me. DH & BIL picked me up and drove me to the party. The weather was not the best and the traffic was bad, but we made it to the party at 5:45 p.m. Surprise surprise, there were only 2 other girls beside me (out of about 15) Hmm... Her mom was there and she said that N is upset and hung up on her. By the time N came home a few more girls came, so it was about 6 or 7 of us. We were sitting on the stairs right in front of the door and decided that we would not be yelling as we don't want her to go into labour. Well, surprise didn't really work. When she opened the door, she said that she knew that something was going on as she saw a few familiar cars (some people, don't have any common sense!!!), but she was also all upset and had a red puffy face as she was crying. Apparently her parents picked up her son without telling her and when she showed up at the day care the teachers there didn't know what happened to him. And her boyfriend and parents were preparing for the surprise party so didn't hear her calling until much later. To make the long story short, the surprise party was a disaster. It was also very poorly organized and a bit boring. I just hope that my sis and SIL will do a much better job.
Once some people started to leave, I decided to go too. DH picked me up and we went to our friend's house (C & A). It turned out that they invited everyone my sis & BIL, my BIL & SIL, and my cousin & her hubby, we watched some old photos and generally had lots of fun! Didn't leave for home until around 1 a.m.!
My Saturday again stared with my yoga class, although when I got there my vision go blurry again (note to self - talk to OB about it), but it subsided while we exercising. She put Bob Marley songs and it was a pretty interesting experience. I got to this yoga more for exercise rather than inner reflection, so didn't mind a bit. It was nice and different. The class was very dynamic too. Great work out - that I loved. The cleaning lady was at the house, so we went out for breakfast (again it was close to 1 p.m.). DH told me that his partner invited us to a Christmas party on Saturday evening (yep Christmas party on January 21!!!). We decided that we have to start looking at some stuff for the basement renovation as next weekend and the following weekend we have prenatal classes, so would have no time, and the renovations are starting on the 30th! So went through a few stores to look at stones for the bathroom, vanities and hardwood. I don't know why this time it is so hard (much harder to put our thoughts together, then it was when we were doing this for the main house). We didn't make any decisions. Got home just in time to get ready for the Christmas party. My BIL & SIL were supposed to pick us up, but were late, so after waiting for them for 30 min (when they said 5-10) we ended up walking almost all the way to their house. The party was as usual (like every other year before that), lots of food, but boring. I was wearing a baby-doll type top, which was not maternity and given that I was in my 34th week, the top was a bit short. So the comments that I was getting was that they thought I was due any moment, as I am so big, which is the first, as I've been told that I am carrying pretty good and I don't look like I have a month and a half left. Whatever! BIL wasn't feeling well but nobody was leaving. So I told BIL & SIL if they wanted to go, we can all blame the pregnant lady. They agreed, so we got up and started to get dressed (it was close to midnight already). What happened next was so funny. As we were saying good bye's to the partner, I turned around and saw that all of the people got up and started to get dressed as well. It's hilarious - nobody wanted to be the first one to leave. Yep, Russian mentality :).
Sunday we had breakfast at SIL & BIL house. When we got there, I was surprised that the youngest nephew was very quiet (he is usually the menace). He was sitting quietly first next to his parents and then on someone's lap. My SIL said that he hasn't been feeling well and he actually threw up in the middle of the breakfast, poor little guy. After breakfast we decided to look at more stone flooring and went to a store midtown, where after spending hours, we were finally set on what we want. Thereafter we went to look at hardwood floors and had to drive to the other side of the city so we could kiss the closed door. Yep, should have checked if it was open on Sundays. The remainder of the day we spent at home. I had to do some work and then my parents and brother came over, so we hung up for a bit.
DH put all the stuff that we don't use for sale, and actually sold a few pieces. Good for him. So he was dealing with that over the weekend as well.
With all the partying over the weekend, when I stepped on the scale on Monday morning it showed that I gained 1 kg back. I had absolutely no emotion when I saw that. The funny thing is that on Monday evening my stomach was feeling weird and I couldn't understand if it was the baby or BH contractions. Well it was neither as my stomach was upset and I had to run to the washroom a few times in the evening. When I woke up Tuesday morning, I felt like shit. I was very nauseous and couldn't leave the washroom for 30 minutes due to upset stomach. I called my boss, and told him that I am not coming in and will be working from home. The best decision ever! I spent the entire day in my bathrobe, plus I managed to nap between 3 and 4 p.m. until my boss called and woke me up. I had to make a few runs to the washroom in the morning, and DH was very worried. He told me to call him if I feel even a bit worse. He wanted to go to the walk-in clinic but I told him not to worry. It was probably just a bug that I caught (probably from the nephew). I did call my OB's office and talk to the nurse. She basically said the same thing - drink lots of fluid, eat constipating foods, if it gets worse or continues, go to L&D, monitor baby's movement, if don't feel him, go to L&D. I thanked her and called DH to let him know. I was still feeling shitty by the time he got home (but at least the frequent visits to the bathroom stopped). The bad news was that he said that he left early as he wasn't feeling good either and felt feverish, and he did have a fever. So the remaining of the evening I was taking care of him. Making him hot tea and making sure he takes drugs.
Well both of us woke up feeling better today. That's a bonus. It actually got a bit easier in the office as well, as after spending the entire day one-on-one with the new guy yesterday, my boss is starting to work directly with him and not through me all the time.
The baby has also been very active and I mostly enjoying it, although sometimes it gets very uncomfortable to the point of hurting badly. But I do get a bit worried when I don't feel him for a few hours. He still loves my right ribs and that's where he is kicking right now. :)
Everyone who wanted already felt him kick or push, including my SIL who I was surprised to see that she wanted to feel him (as she is a more reserved person), but first when we were together at the friends' house and my cousin was feeling the baby, I could see she was looking very interested. Then at Christmas dinner when I told her that the baby is kicking she actually put her hand on my tummy and felt him moving around.
We didn't touch anything in the nursery in the past two weeks, but I did promise myself that I should do a bit every day to start preparing for the arrival of our little one. Well, I hope the classes this weekend will give me a nudge.
It was a long post, so I hope that next time I can update the blog in much shorter chunks. Off to bed!!!
Glad to hear your doing so well. I don't know how you have the engery pregnant or other wise for such a busy life. I'd be pooped!! LOL Can't wait to nursery and baby shower pic!!
ReplyDelete