Wednesday, September 7, 2011

13 weeks and first OBGYN apt!

Last Friday (13w1d) was our first apt with OBGYN. We arrived at his office at exactly 9:30 a.m., and the reception was --- empty! Yep, at my old OBGYN (who I had before all the IF struggles) always had a reception full of people and waiting times of a few hours. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. His receptionist also turned out to be very nice we completed all the forms and confirmed all information. DH asked her about parking, as the parking meter machine was out of order, and as she told him there was another one he decided to go back and pay so as not to get the ticket. He wasn't gone for 2 minutes when the doctor called me in. He turned out to be an older gentlemen but with a good sense of humour. We went through my medical history (including how this baby was conceived). He also asked me if I have any questions, which I had (and I wrote them down too). By the time DH arrived, we finished going trough all my questions. He assured me that both BD and exercise are all good, as long as I don't do high impact (like aerobics). We then proceeded into the exam room. As we were walking towards the examination room, the doc told me that since I've been poked and probed a lot in the past few months, at this time he would only do an external exam. He touched my tummy and said that the he can feel the baby and that it is a bit bigger than 13 weeks I am. He had a student there as well, who also touched me and said that the baby feels more like 16-17 weeks. Well, I am not placing any emphasis on that opinion as he is a student. As I was thinking further after I left the office, I thought that they would ask me to pee before the apt (as that's what others told me they were asked to do) so I was pretty full, and that might have pushed the baby up more. Anyways, I am not worried. The doc also talked about my diet and said that he wants me to gain about 10 kg. But, as DH and I were discussing it later, the doc didn't take into account me being extremely overweight and Health Canada guidelines only allow me 5-9 kg. I am trying to stick with 6 kg from my weight right now (and I hope that even full term I would not be as big as I was at one point in the past 4 years). We were in and out of the OBGYN in 30 min. Which was also amazing!

As I got to the office there was of course emergencies just waiting for me, so I didn't end up leaving until after 8:30 p.m. (and that's on a Friday before the long weekend). I went to my parents house and complained that my OBGYN didn't use a doppler, so my dad got a stethoscope that they use to measure blood pressure, and started probing my tummy. Surprisingly, he found the heart beat. It sounded very distant and I am still not 100% convinced that it was it (as he gave me to listen too), but I did hear something.

Saturday morning the cleaning lady was coming (oh how we both love our cleaning lady). So we were both up pretty early cleaning the house before the cleaning lady. Yep have to tidy up the place a bit. Then we decided to go our for breakfast and the only people who agreed to come were my mom and my brother, so we had a nice family lunch. And since we arrived early the place was not really full yet. I then had my first pedicure since the spring. My SIL got me all scared telling me that a pedicure is a no-no, as I was not supposed to put my feet in hot water. I thought it only applied to the first trimester so was happy to book my pedi once we were past that deadline, but she insisted that I should not go through with it and that she didn't do hers during both of her pregnancies. She got me so paranoid that I spent a few hours on the internet, which only objections to pedi is that infection might be bad and the fumes might make you nauseous. Then I called my sis, who said that she went for pedi every few weeks through out both of her pregnancies. So, I went, and it was amazing! I told them to not make the water hot as I was pregnant (yep I said that to a stranger :) ) and they made my water barely warm, but I still enjoyed it. As it was really hot and humid outside, we spent most of the Saturday in front of a TV, but then around 7 p.m. I decided that I want to go for a walk. That was not a good idea. I don't know what the temperature was but it was very humid so even leisurely walking I was out of breath by the time we reached 1.5km mark, and we were the furthest away from our house (we were making a circle), so by the time we reached BIL & SIL's house (3km all together) we were both sweaty and red faced. It was nice to step into an a/c house. We spent the evening at their house as they had friends over who are DH's child friends as well.

Sunday we decided to sleep in as much as possible (even with me getting up to pee 2-3 times per night). We were in bed just lounging around and just joking and playing with each other, and one thing led to the other and we actually BD!!! Yes, first time in beginning of June. At the beginning it was a bit awkward as we tried to chose a position to not to hurt the baby (and squish the mommy) much and still felt a bit guilty about doing it with the baby inside, but boy was it very very pleasurable. ;) We again spent some time having a breakfast and just vegging out in front of the TV and then decided go to Lakeshore. DH took his roller-blades and went for a ride, and I just walked for an hour. Near the lake the breeze was nice and cool, and as I was walking near the water I was imagining how next summer I'll be taking our baby for a stroll here (although the driving there is a bit of a pain, I think I can manage). I love Lakeshore. I remembered that every time in the past 4 years when we would go there, I would imagine me with a stroller (as other moms around me) and this time it was very close to reality. I have a little soul inside me, which is growing and before we know it will be a part of our family. I can't wait to meet you...

The walk was very invigorating, and I was happy to go for a walk 2 days in a row. We then decided to go to the movies and as I wasn't in he mood for anything serious or action, we saw Our idiot brother, which I found was a nice movie (and funny at times) to watch before going to bed.

Monday was a holiday, so more time in bed, although no BDing this time around. I had to help my dad's friend's daughter with some docs, so by mid day DH drove me to her house. She turned out to be really nice, she had a baby 6 weeks ago. So I told her that I was pregnant and the first thing that she said to me is "You can't imagine how the baby will change your life". We did go through the topics of her pregnancy, labour and breastfeeding, and managed to do it in 15 min as DH was waiting for me in the car (he is a bit introvert and doesn't really like meeting new people). The baby was cute too.

As we drove north to meet this girl, we decided to drive West to Kleinburg a nice little town where I love to walk (plus they have a pretty big park). The problem was that it was freaking freezing (I bet not more than 15C) plus we were supposed to get to my SIL's house as it was her mom's birthday. We did have a nice stroll through the main street and then back to the car to get warm with a stop at Star.bucks for me to pee :). At least I got in 30 min of walking on Monday too. The bbq at SIL's house was uneventful and it being a night before going back to work we went home pretty early.

Tuesday, the boss was back, so no more hardly working for me. So both Tuesday and today were very busy days at the office. The good think is that my nausea is subsiding (or so I thought) although today (Wednesday) it has been pretty bad. My bbs hurt too, plus everything else down there. I think the baby is shuffling things around to extend his/her home as I have pains in my uterus, ovaries and kidneys as well as lower back. Oh well, as long as the baby is healthy and growing.

Even with all my "padding" I can feel the hard places on my lower tummy where the baby is. The girl at my work (who I don't really like) telling me every day that I am starting to show (and all i want to do is just hit her hard so she leaves me alone). Anyways, I can also feel the fullness in my lower tummy which I think is my uterus, placenta and the baby.

My sis bought me a stretch cream that she used. So I used it for the first time after the shower on Sunday, and omg it stinks!!! I don't like the smell, and DH doesn't like the smell, but I am not about to throw out $40 worth of product. So I am sticking with it until it is done and then asking DH to order me a different one on line, which my prego friend recommended. I just talked to her and she just got that different cream herself and says that to her that cream doesn't smell bad. Well, I'll be visiting her next week and will smell it for myself first before ordering it. The other good thing, is that she told me that my be.lla bands have arrived! Yei!!! I can't wait to try them on. I have to unbutton my fat pants in the afternoon, so I am looking forward to switching to my regular pants with the band.

Tomorrow will be 14 weeks, and I just want the time to hurry up just a bit, so I could start feeling the baby move! I guess I should enjoy each step of the pregnancy, and the best part is that the anxiety about this pregnancy is almost gone (not completely, but almost gone), with a great help from my due date buddies at ivf(dot)ca. I just love love love that site. It was an amazing form of support during the past year of all the heavy duty treatments and now when all of us post-ivfers have tons of insecurities about our pregnancies. Anyways, better get to bed, tomorrow is another long day at the office.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it to the second trimester! I am so excited for you. This is truly deserved. Thanks for your comment about morning sickness. I'm glad to hear you experienced the same thing. I am trying to be positive, but you know how it is with IF... xoxo

    ReplyDelete