Thursday, February 9, 2012

35 weeks going on 36 - I can see the finish line!!!

So today is exactly 36 weeks and in my mind that's a milestone after which the baby can come at any time and be ok. Although the pregnancy app on my iphone said that the babies born after the end of the 36th week are considered full term. Notwithstanding, I am very excited to be at this point, and only asked my little one to hold on for another 2 weeks to give his mommy some time to put all her things in order (and get some needed rest). I have been having weird thoughts that I think the baby is now in horizontal position (don't know the correct name for it), but I am still hoping that it is just pregnancy hormones at work. I still think he is pretty high up as I can feel him constantly moving close to my ribs and I still have heartburn (I actually had a very bad case of heartburn today), so I don't think he dropped yet and if he is in any position other than head down, he will have some time to turn.

The other exciting news is that tomorrow is my last day of work! Yes, it is!!! I've been working at this firm for exactly 5 years as of this Sunday, so I do deserve a break. I can't believe that this time has finally came. I remember in October early November, I was thinking - a few weeks until our holiday, then a few more weeks until the boss goes away, and after he comes back just 2 more weeks until my replacement starts and then 4 weeks training the replacement and I'll be done. It all looked so far away, and now it seems like the time just flew by. I have so much planned for this weekend and next week, but first, should probably go back to a week ago.

So the majority of the events during the past week revolve around renovations of our basement. The contractors are great and sticking to schedule (if not going ahead) - knock on wood! In the middle of last week they told DH that he would have the entire weekend to complete all the electrical work as they would not do drywall until Monday; however, they did get a bit ahead of schedule and DH started doing electrical work on Thursday evening, as Friday they already finished putting up the drywall in the bedroom and bathroom downstairs. There were a lot more to be done, so DH spent an evening on Friday making some progress. On Saturday we had a very early class which started at 8:45 a.m. which also meant that I had to get up pretty much at the same time as I do every day to go to the office :( . The class was CPR and emergency, and it only lasted until around noon. I liked it. The instructor was hilarious and I did learn a bit (we also got a little booklet that I can review as well). I still think that if something happens and DH is going to be around, he will be the one handling the emergency as I easily go into a panic mode. So really hoping I am not faced with anything life threatening. DH was a bit pissed, as he said that with her jokes and comedy acts the instructor actually made the class longer that it was supposed to be... oh well...

After the class we stopped at my parents' place (as that hospital is very close to them) and I was hungry. I promised DH that we would only spend a few minutes there, but we ended up staying for over an hour as we had lunch and then waited for my dad who also wanted to see us. We then decided to go to a hardwood store to pick up hardwood for the basement, and actually ended up buying it for a pretty good price. We were supposed to babysit my brother, but since DH had a lot of things to do in the basement, I just took the car and went on my own. He was behaving pretty good until it was bed time. As he was finding everything funny and didn't want to sleep, we had to do some exercise so that he can let go of his extra energy. He jumped on the trampoline and played some Wii and then went back to bed, and this time around he felt asleep pretty fast. I had to do somethings for work, so I spent another 1.5 hours at my parents' house working, while making sure that my brother is sound asleep by the time I leave.

On Sunday, we went to buy stone tiles for the bathroom floor and shower floor and walls. We chose them a few weeks ago, but then after smart-ass comments from BIL and SIL, DH started doubting that this combination would work. We actually decided to switch one of the stones and it ended up a bit cheaper. The store was crazy busy and we spent a few hours there until we got all the stone tiles. But as DH was packing everything in our car, he opened one box and the sales person made a mistake when processing our order and instead of 18x18 tiles, ordered 4x4. It was already close to 3 p.m., but to leave and deal with this next week was not an option. So we spent another hour processing the return of the incorrect tiles, processing the purchase of the correct tiles and then waiting for them to get those tiles from the warehouse. We were supposed to go grocery shopping afterwards as our fridge was empty, but there was no time as DH still had a lot to do to prepare the basement for the construction guys. We hurried home and I just made pelmeni, which are my favourite quick frozen meal (although not very healthy). DH was having a lot of troubles fishing a wire from the main floor switch to the basement and BIL came over to help him. As they were struggling downstairs, I decided to do some more work, but then got a call from my mom that they are passing by and would be stopping to see the basement. The WORST timing ever!!! MY dad has a tendency to give DH unsolicited advice, and DH gets upset as he makes him feel like he doesn't know anything (although in most cases where advice is given it is not the best advice). I think my dad is still jealous of me being with DH. We've been together for almost 11 years, but my dad doesn't seem to let it go and try to make himself as an indispensable part of my life. I am not going to go into details now what my dad was doing and saying when DH and I started going out and I started to stay over at his place, but believe me when I say that at some point it was bearing on ridiculous.

Anyways, my parents came and I was spending time with my mom and brother, while my dad was trying to help DH & BIL with that stupid cable. It took them another hour or two to finally have it through, and my parents left, and so did my BIL as he had his hockey game. I asked DH if he needed any help, he declined and I went back to my computer and eventually to sleep. I woke up around 2 a.m. to pee and DH was not in bed, the next time I woke up was 4:45 a.m. and DH just came into the bedroom to take the shower before going to sleep, he didn't get to bed until after 5:00 a.m. and he wasn't done! He actually didn't go to the office on Monday morning and spent another few hours finishing up.

Monday, the contractors also made a huge progress and there were a few things that DH had to finish up (again he didn't get to bed until 3 a.m.). On Tuesday we had our breastfeeding class after work. DH told me that if he is the only guy in the class he would leave and wait for me in the car. We were the first ones there, so he stayed, and it turned out that there were about 10 couples plus 3 girls on their own. I was happy that DH came as it did took both of us to figure out what the instructor was trying to explain. She had a very heavy accent and after a long day at work she was really hard to understand, although I did find the class to be beneficial as I found out some very useful information. The instructor was telling us that we were going to finish early, but we ended up finishing 30 minutes late, which was around 10 p.m. On the way home, DH realized that he probably forgot to put a cable for the lights in the hallway in the basement, he couldn't remember if he did or not. He has been working so hard on that basement and was so exhausted that I was just praying that he just forgot, but no such luck. As we got home he looked through the photos he took of all the electrical wiring before the drywall went up and the wire was not there. It was close to 11 p.m., and DH was so devastated by this discovery that I couldn't leave him by himself. He dismantle smaller pieces of drywall and could put the wire through part of the way, but then had a big hurdle to overcome and a huge piece of drywall, which I ended up holding up. I was getting sleepy and tired, but all I could think was that DH put so much into our house and has been such a rock solid foundation for both of us, that I can go through a bit of pain to help him through both physically and emotionally as he was getting discourage trying to pull the wire through 3 studs that were together. Finally at around 2 a.m. the heavy lifting was done, and I could go to bed. He was still downstairs for another hour making final adjustments. And this Wednesday it was the last of it, he again worked until close to 3 a.m. but had all of the pot lights installed. Yei!!! no more working nights for DH!!! and the contractors already started taping and caulking the drywall. They are trying to finish everything by the end of next week and may be some minor fix ups into the beginning of the following week, but it is still amazing.

The only downside of the construction being at the house was that I cancelled our cleaning lady last Saturday, and she is not coming until next week Saturday. The house is a mess and I am having my baby shower in here on Sunday. My sis is coming tomorrow to decorate, but I need time to clean up at least a bit before she does. Plus tomorrow being my last day at the office, I am not sure when I will be home. So this weekend is shaping up to be a bit on the crazy side again. Plus on Monday I have my OB appointment and on Tuesday an appointment with our pediatrician (yes on Valentine's day and it is at 5:30 p.m.), otherwise no special plans on Valentine's day, so only time will tell what we are going to do. My 37th week is going to be interesting!!!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats on getting to 36 weeks and yay for not working anymore. I can't even begin to describe how jealous I am (about both things =P). But I am equally happy this is all happening for you - you totally deserve it. Wishing all the best for you in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe your 36 weeks. It's crazy. You've come so far. I can't wait to see pic!!

    ReplyDelete